Jul 23, 2003

I haven’t written about the Mets in awhile. It’s been a tough season. Add to that, I haven’t been able to watch any of the games lately. I had started to write an entry about what I think the Mets should do in terms of trades and had meant to go back and edit it when I had the chance and there they went and traded pretty much everyone I had been talking about.

I was hoping they’d be able to make a deal with Kansas City sending Benitez and/or Burnitz out for a sign and trade with Carlos Beltran but, that wasn’t what happened. I still think they should trade Al Leiter before the end of the year (Boston would be a good fit). There’s a bunch of middle relievers that could go as well (Lloyd, Stanton - who I never have liked and Weathers).

I’d like to see them go after Beltran in the off-season and Andy Petite. I don’t think the Yankees will resign Petite (they just don’t seem to think much of him) and I have the feeling the Yankees will probably make a big push to try and sign Kevin Millwood (who looks like a good fit for them).

I’d be pretty happy if they could get Burnitz back too. Next years’ team would be:

Vance Wilson - C
Mike Piazza - 1b
Jeromy Burnitz - RF
Carlos Beltran - CF
Cliff Floyd - LF
Ty Wigginton - 3b
Jose Reyes - SS

I’d like to see them get Edgardo Alfonzo back as well. Maybe I’m a sentimentalist, but I always thought Fonzie was a great team guy and good in the clubhouse. You never know what the Giants would be willing to do to get out from under that contract. I think most of Fonzie’s problems this year have to do with him being homesick - he never really wanted to leave New York.

If Burnitz doesn’t come back I’d like to see them shift Jason Phillips over to RF. I’d keep Super Joe (another favorite).

Starting pitching would be:

Glavine
Petite
Seo
Trachsel

And I think you can fill in a decent fifth starter somehow.

As far as the bullpen goes, something from the group of kids should materialize.

I think that team could do pretty well in the division.

In the meantime, I’ll just suffer through the rest of the season and hope this team can string together two good winning streaks between now and the end of the season and keep from embarrassing themselves.

No comments: